Friday, December 30, 2011

Insider's Info!

Let us continue from where we left... Today's post is about giving you some Insider's Info of the people. I am sure after learning these few things, you would not be a stranger any more ;)

People:

Before I visited the country, I was also of the perception that South Africa is a nation of just African people, and I would be seen as a complete stranger, but to my complete surprise! As soon as I landed, I could see Whites, Blacks (People call themselves Blacks non - hesitantly, but be cautious as some might get offended), Indians(Yes, they are everywhere!) and Chinese.

I din't know the history of these races but Whites, Indians and Chinese existed from the Apartheid era, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Africa_under_apartheid.
Being an Indian, it is a shame for me that I never knew that Indians were taken to South Africa as Slaves in ships 150 years back, hence there are generations of Indians, who are infact more Indian than us. I would be more specific about details in my further posts.

So, concluding about the races, there are Whites, Blacks, Coloreds (Not the Indians, but where mother and father are from two different races), Asians.

Due to its political nature, there are reservations for the majority black group , called BEE (Black Economic Empowerment) but it was new to me that Indians and Chinese also come under BEE, 2 Indians make 1 black! Political isn't it?

Languages:
They are not called rainbow nation for nothing. There are 11 officical languages, apart from many unofficial ones.
  1. Some Whites speak Afrikaans, are called Afrikaaners.
  2. Some Whites are British, speak English
  3. Blacks have languages like Zulu, Ndebele, Northern Sotho, Sotho, Swazi, Tswana, Tsonga, Venda and Xhosa
  4. Indians speak English. Most (99.9%) of them don't know any Indian language.
  5. Chinese speak English or their native languages.
Say Hello, their way!

1. Haha! I wasn't in habit of ordering anything in a restaurant after wishing the waiters, in fact everywhere. Follow this:
Megha:  "Hello! How are you doing?"
Waiter: Smiles and says "Good and you?"
Megha: Fine thanks!
and now you can order :) Don't complain if your food is Slimy, you had to wish them!

Sometimes, you just laugh and the response is "Fine and you?"

2. Whites just say "How's it" to wish!

3. They don't use Excuse me, like many other places! They won't even hear you if you say "Excuse Me".
So, I went to a restaurant and I learnt that they will listen to me if I say "Sorry"
Megha: Sorry, Can I have a Coke?

4. Goodbyes?  You say "Shot!" or "Sharp! Sharp!". Bbyes isn't common :)
Get used to it, I did too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment